May 15, 2010

Animal Adventures!

Today, my family took an excursion to the city zoo. It's unusual to have a trip where all four of us go out. It was a very pleasant 65 degrees outside, making it an ideal zoo day. When we arrived there, we were forced to the very back of the lot, something that's never happened before. It was a walk just to get to the entrance! The sidewalks were crowded with God knows how many strollers with sleeping or crying babies, and lots of other parents and children. The whole front was a mess, due to the building of a new elephant enclosure that will open in a year. We decided to start at the top and work our way down the hill to make things easier on us, so it was up to the Aquarium and Big Cats, which haven't changed at all, except for the absence of the stonefish. I can say though that the red panda is my new favorite animal. It's so cute, with its tiny little face and almost catlike appearance! I wish I could have gotten a better picture, but my camera just wasn't with it today. Everything was mostly the same at the zoo, with the animals lazying around in the warm, but not hot, sun. Construction on the bridge dividing the zoo had kicked the tigers out of their habitat though, being only about 10 feet away. One thing though that was AMAZING was that the wolves were out and about! One even paced right in front of the glass! I'd never seen so many of them in the exhibit, because usually they are being all reclusive and not wanting to show their cute faces, but they were so beautiful out today. Another thing was that it seemed that one of the sea lions was missing. I'm not one to remember individuals animals, but this sea lion had one eye. It was sewn shut, so it always looked like it was winking at you, and that one was gone. Lastly, there was this giraffe that had wandered very close to the fence in order to eat. I used no zoom for this picture. It was pretty crazy. Before I had the chance to take a picture, he had been reaching out and sticking his tongue out really far, but then he decided to just find a place closer to the plants. Another giraffe was leaning over and eating grass, but then he just laid down and started to eat. I think it was a teenage giraffe, lazy...


In the end, we all got to see most of the zoo, and I got to spend some time with my dad in the dinosaur exhibit. It was a fun family day, even if we didn't spend much time as a unit...which saddens me. It was still a great day outside, and I hope we have more days like it.


Happy Blogging!
-Devon



No comments:

Post a Comment

Mi perfil

Edgy, Excitable, Music-Loving, Ambitious, Nervous, Shy, Leader, Nerdy, Quirky, Tad OCD